"Stinky pinky"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Thu Sep 30 11:50:38 UTC 2004

Thanks, Wilson.  There's no printed documentation for "skank" before the mid-60s, so far as  know.

JL

Wilson Gray <wilson.gray at RCN.COM> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Wilson Gray
Subject: Re: "Stinky pinky"

On Sep 29, 2004, at 5:09 PM, Jonathan Lighter wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender: American Dialect Society
> Poster: Jonathan Lighter
> Subject: Re: "Stinky pinky"
> --------
>
> Any chance that "stank-ho" is the source, via white-boy
> misapprehension, of "skank"?
>
> Curiouser and curiouser,
>
> JL

No. "Skank" is way older than "stank-ho." When I was a kid in the '40's
and '50's, "skank" already existed alongside "stankih ho," i.e. "stinky
whore." For me, the question is how and why "stinky" got reduced to
"stink." Insofar as I have any opinion wrt white misapprehension of
black slang, I'm sometimes trivially annoyed by what may be termed
"misuse." For example, whenever I see a full-page ad in the NYT that
reads something like, "FUNKIEST FALL FASHIONS!!! ON SALE NOW!!!", I
feel a frisson of annoyance. "Funky" simply should not be used as a
synonym of "trendy." But, what are you going to do? Write a
prescriptive grammar of slang? ( Now, there's a thought!) In the
immortal words of Noam Chomsky, "I think not."

-Wilson Gray