"as one in the same"

Fri Apr 1 06:45:32 UTC 2005

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 20:44:57 -0500, crg <langwidge at EROLS.COM> wrote:

>More often, I see misuses/abuses of commonly used clichés:
>
>This error was posted by the local news this evening:
>
>"The messages focused on asbestos in the school and his termination --
>issues that he sees as one in the same, according to the sheriff's office."
>
>Also "crown and glory" and "doggy dog world."
>
>Are these sorts of changes going on in other parts of the US or just around
>Baltimore?

No, there's nothing localized about any of those formations, which are
called "eggcorns" round these parts (see <http://eggcorns.lascribe.net/>).
I noted "one in the same" in a thread last December:

http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0412B&L=ads-l&P=17910

Larry Horn listed several other in/and/-in'/-en reanalyses in that thread
and in his recent "Spitten Image" paper in _American Speech_:

http://muse.jhu.edu/journals/american_speech/v079/79.1horn.html

"Crown and glory" is a good one-- hadn't come across that before.

"Doggy dog world" has been mentioned by a few contributors to the Eggcorn
Database, though there's no entry for it yet:

http://eggcorns.lascribe.net/contribute/#comment-55
http://eggcorns.lascribe.net/contribute/#comment-250
http://eggcorns.lascribe.net/contribute/#comment-341

--Ben Zimmer