Earlier "jinks" = "jinx" (1904-7)

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Mon Apr 4 01:32:06 UTC 2005

On Apr 3, 2005, at 8:31 PM, Douglas G. Wilson wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       "Douglas G. Wilson" <douglas at NB.NET>
> Subject:      Earlier "jinks" = "jinx" (1904-7)
> --------
>
> Earlier on this list I posted a 1907 example of "jinx".
>
> Here are (I think) early examples of the same word "jinks" (the same
> word,
> alternative spelling).
>
> ----------
>
> _Los Angeles Times_, 11 Aug. 1904: p. A3:
>
> <<The Cincinnati team has done with Mike Donlin for good, and it is not
> likely that this ex-Californian will cut much ice from now on. That
> term in
> jail put the jinks on Donlin.>>

And as Little Richard sings in his 1956 song, Heebie-Jeebies, "My
bad-luck baby _put the jinks on_ me." Some BE speakers refer to the
deuce of spades - bad luck for the pair that *doesn't* hold it - in the
game, bid whist, as "the jink." Playing the deuce is referred to as
"putting the jink on" the opposing pair. Unfortunately, I have no idea
whether there's a relationship other than accidental between "jink" and
"jinks." On his record, Mr. Richard clearly pronounces "heebie-jeebies"
as "heebie-jeebie," but, unforttunately, he just as clearly pronounces
"jinks" as "jinks."

FWIW, although trumps are referred to as "trumps," playing a trump is
called "cutting" and not "trumping."

-Wilson Gray