Earlier "jinks" = "jinx" (1904-7)

Page Stephens hpst at EARTHLINK.NET
Mon Apr 4 15:42:18 UTC 2005

I first heard this song sung by Alan Mills some fifty years ago. I do not
know the original date of the song but Mills version was recorded in 1953.

Page Stephens

>From http://www.wtv-zone.com/phyrst/audio/nfld/01/twojinks.htm
Two jinkers in our harbour dwell, adventuresome and plucky;
The plans they make all promise well, but always turn unlucky;
Men were hard to get that year, else sailed we would have sooner,
So to our sorrow and despair, they shipped aboard our schooner.

Misfortune followed on their trail whenever they did venture,
And when bad luck did us assail these two we'd always censure;
To the offer ground you see them bound, look out for squalls that even',
"Make for the land," cries every man, "here's Jimmy Walsh and Stephen!"

When we landed on the Funks we had two Cat's Cove ruffians,
They went battin' Carey's Chicks and said that they were puffins;
When we came to share our eggs we thought all hands had even,
Then found that two had none at all - poor Jimmy Walsh and Stephen!

In crossing Belle Isle Straits next night, the orders from the skipper,
Were: "Keep your canvas all drawn tight, and on your lee the dipper;"
Before the dawn there came a crash, from stem to stern a shiver,
Then from our bunks we made a dash, and heard a running river.

We found that Stephen was at the wheel, and Jimmy was the scunner,
That we still lived 'twas good to feel when two such craytures run 'er;
Our water line a growler rives, and through the seam comes seivin',
The ocean roaring for the lives of Jimmy Walsh and Stephen!

Our guardian Angels never knew of such an active season,
We kept our senses all alert, and knew we had good reason;
Such constant strain might crack the brain; the fishery game I'm leaving,
And if I raise, give all the praise to Jimmy Walsh and Stephen!

####.... Patrick Kevin Devine ....####
>From the Dictionary Of Newfoundland English:

Jinker - Jinx; Person (on a vessel) bringing bad luck; Jonah.
Funk - Foul smelling; Sea-bird nesting colony; Funk-bird.
Carey's Chick - Northern Leach's petrel (Oceanodroma leucorhoa).
Offer - Offshore, away from the land; the further
seaward of two (or more) objects or features; outer.
Scunner - Look-out on a vessel; Barrel-man.
Growler - Floating ice especially hazardous to vessels
because of its instability or indeterminate size.
Raise - To begin singing a hymn.

PS. I just used my OED to look up a variety of terms including jinker, jink,
jinkit, etc. and discovered that the origin of the term goes back at least
to the early 18th century and that the changes in meaning are pretty
predictable so while jinx itself may be early 20th century its predecessors
are much older.