Nicaragua

Paul Frank paulfrank at POST.HARVARD.EDU
Mon Apr 4 16:43:50 UTC 2005

On Mon, 4 Apr 2005 09:19:18 -0700, FRITZ JUENGLING wrote
> Although I agree with your message, I have issue with your statement about 'Kant'.  How DO
> English speakers pronounce it? I have never heard anything but [kahnt], i.e. the German
> pronunciation in English. Am I out of my mind, or is there another pronunciation of which
> I am unaware?

Americans pronounce Kant with a long vowel. In German it's pronounced with a short vowel that to my
ears is dangerously close to an English obscenity. But I’m probably a weirdo for losing any sleep
about these things, especially since I know nothing about phonetics (having slept my way through
phonetics classes at university).

On another subject, I just wrote an entry about language and exile in my blog and would be
interested in references to this subject, because it's somethin I'm interested in but only have
anecdotal knowledge of.

Paul
Paul Frank
Chinese-English translator