Kant

Mon Apr 4 17:54:07 UTC 2005

On Apr 4, 2005, at 10:45 AM, David Bergdahl wrote:

> When I lived in Germany ('75-'76) older faculty at Georg-August Uni
> called
> what we call a-umlaut the "German A" so I doubt Arnold's claim that
> Kant
> would be [kaent];

i claimed no such thing.  i said that the Monty Python version (in
*english*) had [kaent].  you can listen to the recordings.  the actual
 german vowel is further back than [ae], and would be approximated (but
only approximated) in english by the first vowel of "father" (which is
not too far off on quality, but is definitely too long).

arnold