Attachment parenting (before 1992?)

James Callan jabeca at DRIZZLE.COM
Tue Apr 5 21:56:37 UTC 2005

I'm reading The Attachment Parenting Book by William and Martha Sears,
who claim to have coined the phrase "attachment parenting" about 25 years
ago. The earliest cite I can find for the phrase comes from a 1992
sci.med posting (found via Google Groups):

Nighttime Parenting, by William Sears, M.D. (I think; at any rate, it's
published by La Leche League Int'l).  Another Excellent Book, if you're
into the idea of a family bed and a parenting style known as "attachment
parenting".

This supports the idea that Sears at least popularized the term (it
rapidly became popular over the 1990s, if Google Groups are any
indication). The sources to which I have access through the public
library over the Internet don't turn up cites any earlier. Although my
library access does show that the phrase isn't yet in the OED, though (as
a new parent-to-be) I can assure you that it's so maddeningly popular it
probably should be.

Any cites from before '92?

James Callan