stunt word, stunt butt, stunt dick

Wed Apr 6 01:52:40 UTC 2005

In a message dated 4/5/05 6:07:39 PM, wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM writes:

> Inspired by the phrase, "stunt butt," possibly? During an interview, an
> actor described his reaction to seeing himself from behind on TV: "Is
> that my butt? That can't be my butt. It must be a stunt butt!"

We also have an old AMERICAN SPEECH note on "stunt dick" 'penis used in a
pornographic film when the star's penis is too small or fails to perform'. I
think John Algeo's use came first. I doubt very much, knowing John, that he would
have been much influenced by the pornographic industry, though one never
knows. We can ask him if he thinks he coined the term STUNT WORD or if he borrowed
it from somewhere. At any rate, anyone who consults the old ATNW columns in AS
that JA and Adele wrote in the 1980s will come across STUNT WORD quite a bit.