/bolth/ for both

Matthew Gordon gordonmj at MISSOURI.EDU
Wed Apr 6 17:42:53 UTC 2005

I haven't been following this thread so forgive me if this observation has
been made already.
I don't see how it could be related to the Northern Cities Shift which
involves, mostly short vowels.
A more plausible connection is with /o/ fronting which is common across the
Midlands (and elsewhere). Importantly /o/ is generally resistent to fronting
when it appears before /l/. So the back [o] allophone comes to be associated
with /ol/ context and thus an /l/ is inserted unetymologically.
I think J. Ohala has written on this phenomenon.