Hooplehead

James A. Landau JJJRLandau at AOL.COM
Wed Apr 6 22:10:58 UTC 2005

In a message dated  Tue, 5 Apr 2005 21:28:52 -0400,    "Douglas G. Wilson"
_douglas at NB.NET_ (mailto:douglas at NB.NET)   writes:

>There were a bunch of Hooples in Walsh County in the NE  corner of Dakota
>Territory according to 1885 census record on the Web.  They apparently gave
>as birthplaces such exotic regions as Minnesota and  Canada. There is a town
>or locality named Hoople in the same county of ND  now, how old I don't know.

>If the expression wasn't made up out of  nothing at all for TV, perhaps it
>was invented (back when, or recently)  to refer to "those grotesque buffoons
>and degenerates over in the far end  of the territory"?

Perhaps the writers of Deadwood are P. D. Q. Bach fans and the reference is
to:
"Radio Station WOOF at the University of Southern North Dakota at Hoople,
Professor Peter Schickele brings you the chamber music of P.D.Q. Bach
(1807-1742) on this week’s installment of Report From Hoople."

(This particular quote is from
_http://www.schickele.com/shoppe/pdqrec/ontheair.htm_ (http://www.schickele.com/shoppe/pdqrec/ontheair.htm) ,  )

       - Jim  Landau