Nicaragua

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Apr 7 04:11:54 UTC 2005

At 6:07 AM -0700 4/4/05, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>Nobody says "booeeant" for "bouyant," do they ?
>
>JL

Nobody I know, but since nobody else has come out of the closet, I
should confess that I do indeed have bisyllabic "buoy"s, pronounced
like the aforementioned Bowie knives, ['bu:i].   (This is actually a
long-standing word in my lexicon, since I was 4 or 5 and my family
started spending summers in Long Beach, L.I., where the areas you
were allowed to swim in were marked off by buoys.)  I don't see my
"boo-ee"/"boy-ant" alternation as any more remarkable than those in
e.g. "sign" vs. "signature" or "autumn"/"autumnal".   Oh, I also
share everyone else's bisyllabic version of "Lifebuoy", which
(besides being called that on all the commercials) is not really
compositional for me--it's more like "Lifeboy" with a funny
spelling--while "signal buoy" would retain the "boo-ee" pronunciation.

Larry