CONSTANT COMPANION

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Sun Apr 10 13:01:10 UTC 2005

I remember a young lady in 1974 citing her "special friend."  As good a term as any, I suppose. She was from Pittsburgh.

JL

Wilson Gray <wilson.gray at RCN.COM> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Wilson Gray
Subject: Re: CONSTANT COMPANION

On Apr 9, 2005, at 9:30 AM, RonButters at AOL.COM wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender: American Dialect Society
> Poster: RonButters at AOL.COM
> Subject: CONSTANT COMPANION
> --------
>
> In a message dated 4/9/05 8:26:27 AM, wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM writes:
>
>>> I remember "constant companion" from the early '60s
>>> or possibly before. But I didn't figure out what it
>>> meant till I was a lot older.

>> Does anyone remember when "constant companion" was the polite locution
>> for the man or the woman with whom a person of note enjoyed a close
>> personal, i.e. sexual, relationship?
>>

> Are you confusing CONSTANT COMPANION with LONG-TERM COMPANION or
> SPECIAL
> FRIEND?

I'm not. "Constant companion" and "long-term companion" are two sides
of the same coin. "Special friend" sounds like a term from elementary
school or from a Hallmark card. FWIW, "constant/long-term companion"
antedates the rat pack by perhaps 15 years. If you've heard or read of
the members of the rat pack referred to as "constant companions," then
you're a better man than I, Gunga Ron. As for the claim that Little
Lulu and Tubby enjoyed a sexual relationship, I have no knowledge of
their private lives beyond what was portrayed in comic strips and in
animated cartoons. As for what the meaning of "constant companion" may
be in the English of 2005 as opposed to the meaning that it had in
1945, I don't care.

-Wilson Gray