computer proverb

James A. Landau JJJRLandau at AOL.COM
Sun Apr 10 13:16:42 UTC 2005

"There are two major products to come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We
don't believe this to be a coincidence."

I have heard this "proverb" used as an indictment of the University of
California at Berkeley and also as an indictment of Unix.

It should be noted that the proverb is wrong.  Both Unix and LSD come  from
New Jersey, Unix from the old Bell Laboratories and LSD from a lab that I  am
told was only a few miles from Bell Labs.

Just to be confusing, there is a version of the Linux (Unix-derivative)
operating system that is called "LSD".

     - Jim Landau  (who has never used either type  of LSD and who cheerfully
uses whatever operating system happens to be on the  nearest computer)