Umfriend and Mmmfriend

Mon Apr 11 15:33:58 UTC 2005

In a message dated 4/11/05 11:14:26 AM, laurence.horn at YALE.EDU writes:

> Or "umfriend", which I see has 1790 google hits.  "Friend plus" is
> also heard, but has other uses, while I think "umfriend" is pretty
> much univocal.

univocal or unigraphological? I've never heard this uttered, and would guess
that there would be a pause between "um" and "friend" in speaking--it looks to
me like a stunt spelling that has caught on.
One might actually say "Mmmfriend," though, it seems to me. But to write
"mmmfriend" would be ambiguous, since "mmm" in writing can be the equivalent of
'delicious'

In any case, I'm delighted to make the acquaintance of this new (?) form--new
to me, anyway.