Newspaperarchive; Wicked hot hot chocolate (2001); VOA

bapopik at AOL.COM bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Apr 12 05:10:02 UTC 2005

NEWSPAPERARCHIVE
Here are some newspapers Newspaperarchive is preparing. I can't sleep nights until I know that I have an Elyria, Ohio newspaper from the 1990s.
What's Next: The following titles are scheduled to be available at NewspaperARCHIVE.com within 2-to 4 weeks: Sooner than later category: The Intelligencer, Doylestown, PA (1990s); The Daily Herald, Chicago, IL (various 1900s dates, including 1970s) and The Freeport Journal-Standard, Freeport, IL (1930s). Coming soon: The Daily Nonpareil, Council Bluffs, IA (2003); The Syracuse Morning Standard, Syracuse, NY (1875) and The Chronicle-Telegram, Elyria, OH (1990s). Down the line: The Sioux Valley News, Correctionville, IA (1908); The Sentinel, Stoke on Trent, Staffordshire, U.K. (2003-'03) and The Wayne Independent, Honesdale, PA (2003)
WICKED HOT, HOT CHOCOLATE
I forget to look for "hot hot chocolate." It looks like this was introduced at a chocolate show in 2001.
(FACTIVA)
Interview: Food columnist Phil Lempert shows new products from the Fourth Annual Chocolate Show

1,231 words
NBC News: Today
English
(c) Copyright 2001, National Broadcasting Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

ANN CURRY reporting: Everybody loves comfort food, perhaps now more than ever, and for many people chocolate probably tops the list. Well, TODAY contributor Phil Lempert has had one of the most comfortable assignments of the week, and he's here to tell us about it and also he brought some samples.
Phil, good morning.
Mr. PHIL LEMPERT (Syndicated Food Columnist): Good morning, Ann. It was a terrific, sweet assignment, I've got to tell you something. Fourth Annual Chocolate Show in New York, went down there, saw this great fashion show, women wearing wonderful chocolate, and--and a man wearing chocolate. Also tasted some absolutely wonderful products. And in fact, I'm bringing you back a look at what we saw yesterday.
(Beginning of montage from Chocolate Show)
CURRY: Is there new products now available showing us how to taste that?
Mr. LEMPERT: There are. And this is from Jacques Torres. And this is a wicked hot, hot chocolate. He uses a whole blend of different spices, two different chili peppers, a hot...
CURRY: Mm, yum.
Mr. LEMPERT: Isn't that--isn't that wonderful? It's an absolutely terrific product.
FYI: VOA
This will help a little, I guess, against the expected disappointment from the online Encyclopedia of Chicago later this month. I was contacted about a week ago.

(FACTIVA)
  ONLY IN AMERICA: Windy City

391 words
Voice of America Press Releases and Documents
English
CY Copyright (c) 2005 Federal Information & News Dispatch, Inc.

Radio Scripts - English Feature 7-39694
Washington
/ / ATTN: LIFE IN AMERICA
_
INTRO: Time for a DIFFERENT look at life in the United States that we call Only in America. Here's ________________.
[Ed. Note: The World's Columbian Exposition, scheduled for 1892, got started late and did not open until 1893. Windy or not, Chicago hosted the event.]
TEXT: Besides our vocations, or jobs, millions of Americans have AVocations, or secondary interests and hobbies, which we do for enjoyment. Sometimes these avocations are more interesting than our jobs!
Which brings us to Barry Popik [pron: POPP-ick]. By day, he's a New York City judge, assigned to tedious cases involving parking tickets. But by night and on weekends, he's [opt] an etymologist [end opt] -- a student of words. Especially the colorful nicknames that we've given many of our cities. Boston is Beantown. New Orleans, the Big Easy. Detroit, the Motor City. Judge Popik has traced New York City's nickname of The Big Apple to 1921, when a racing writer first applied the term.
And Barry Popik is well known among word sleuths as the arbiter of a raging debate about Chicago's famous slogan. According to lore and many encyclopedias, Chicago is called The Windy City, but not because of storms off the plains or chilly Lake Michigan. As New York and Chicago jousted to see which would host the world's fair of 1892, New York publisher Charles Dana is said to have snorted that Chicago was a windy city -- meaning a hick town [country outpost] of fast-talking windbags.
Barry Popik scoured every available scrap of paper on the subject. He even made several trips to Washington to scroll through microfilm at the Library of Congress. Judge Popik's ruling: that Cincinnati, Ohio, not New York, first came up with the Windy City phrase. Charles Dana DID use it, but later and without disparaging Chicago.
If Barry Popik is right, those who've been keeping a flawed urban legend alive all these years have been the real windbags. [signed]
OPT NEWS NOW HOST CLOSE: Listen for more of Ted Landphair's essays on life in the United States in our series, "Only in America," every Tuesday and
Thursday, here on VOA News Now.
MUSIC: Up full, hold to end.