"tight as a tick"

Margaret Lee mlee303 at YAHOO.COM
Tue Apr 12 10:28:17 UTC 2005

My mother, who died in 2001 at the age of 91, used this expression when she had had her fill of a good meal  and the host/hostess offered her more, to indicate that she could not possibly eat any more: "No, thank you; I'm tight as a tick."

Wilson Gray <wilson.gray at RCN.COM> wrote:
On Apr 10, 2005, at 9:51 AM, Jonathan Lighter wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender: American Dialect Society
> Poster: Jonathan Lighter
> Subject: "tight as a tick"
> --------
>
> Mike Evans, author of _American Prophecies_ and described as a
> "Mideast analyst" on Fox News, has just explained the nature of the
> relationship between Prime Minister Sharon and President Bush as
> follows :
>
> "These two are tight as a tick !"
>
> He meant they're "very friendly" - not "very drunk," which is what the
> phrase usually means.
>
> Google, however, shows that "tight as a tick" can emphasize virtually
> any idiomatic
> sense of "tight."
>

> JL

This looks like another "hypocorrection." For as far back as I can
remember, "tight," among other meanings, has meant both "friendly" and
"drunk," but "tight as a tick [filled to bursting with its victim's
blood]" has meant only "filled in like manner with alcoholic beverage,"
"drunk as a skunk." I wonder whether the hand gesture corresponding to
"very close friends" will also be affected.

-Wilson