goose pimples (1871)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Apr 14 19:29:27 UTC 2005

At 2:31 PM -0400 4/14/05, Fred Shapiro wrote:
>On Thu, 14 Apr 2005, Baker, John wrote:
>
>>          Making of America has some earlier uses.  From E.E. Marcy, The
>>  Homoeopathic Theory and Practice of Medicine 225 (1850):
>
>Here's earlier:
>
>1824 _Saturday Evening Post_ 20 Mar. 2 (American Periodical Series)
>Fags and Catnip, I'm all over goose pimples!

"Fags and Catnip" indeed.  Now there's a title that wouldn't be used
for a family magazine article anymore.  But I'm also struck by the
"all over", which reflects another interesting shift:  I'm all over
goose pimples ==> Goose pimples are all over me.  Worse than the
causative vs. intransitive "drop".