Literally and Figuratively

Sat Apr 16 17:13:59 UTC 2005

So what, then, for this person is the difference between "literally" and
"figuratively"? The use in this contrasting way indicates that the author must
believe that the two terms mean something different. So what is it?

On the other hand, if this is just a formula, in which the author is
mindlessly repeating a phrase that she has heard without really assigning meaning to
except 'intensifier', can we really say that, for her, "literally" has