"The Buck Stops Here" (ca. 1930)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sat Apr 23 15:40:27 UTC 2005

At 11:08 AM -0400 4/23/05, Douglas G. Wilson wrote:
>>(everyone antes.
>
>Sometimes the dealer antes alone. One can Google <<"dealer antes">> for a
>number of examples.

In our poker games, the deal progresses from one player to the next
and the dealer antes for everyone, a quarter.  In draw games, where
there are fewer rounds of betting (unless it's a variant in which the
cards are arranged and "rolled", i.e. revealed one by one with a
round of betting after each roll), everyone, including the dealer,
antes an additional quarter.  (It's pot limit, table stakes, so the
amounts bet get quite a bit bigger toward the end of each hand, but
if there are only two rounds of betting instead of the typical 5, the
pot wouldn't have enough of a chance to grow if it starts at a
quarter.)  We don't need a buck to keep track of who's dealing, but
maybe in a few more years...