Antedating of "Computer Virus"

Dave Wilton dave at WILTON.NET
Sat Apr 23 20:21:19 UTC 2005

I haven't seen the actual comic book or even images of the pages (I've
located a copy of the comic, but it will be some weeks before I can get my
hands on it), but this web site provides quotes for the use of "virus" in
the X-Men comic:

http://www.kernelthread.com/publications/security/viruses.html

"Kitty Pryde: NO PROBLEM. WE SIMPLY DESIGN AN OPEN-ENDED VIRUS PROGRAM TO
ERASE ANY AND ALL REFERENCES TO THE X-MEN AND PLUG IT INTO A CENTRAL FEDERAL
DATA BANK. FROM THERE, IT'LL INFECT THE ENTIRE SYSTEM IN NO TIME."

and

"Carol Danvers: THERE - THE VIRUS PROGRAM IS PRIMED AND READY TO GO. ONCE
I'VE PUNCHED UP THE X-MEN DATA FILE ... "

There is also a 1972 novel by David Gerrold, "When HARLIE Was One," that
features a computer program called "VIRUS," that propagates like a modern
computer virus.

--Dave Wilton
  dave at wilton.net
  http://www.wilton.net