Quotations from 2005

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Sun Apr 24 15:31:58 UTC 2005

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005, Benjamin Zimmer wrote:

> Similarly, _Time_ has "Verbatim" and _Newsweek_ has "Perspectives"...
>
> There's also a Wiki-style site for news and politics called The Regular
> that has notable quotes submitted by readers:
>
> http://www.theregular.org/quotes/
>
> Skimming through this year's quotes, I don't see anything particularly
> memorable.

Thanks for the excellent suggestions.  I was familiar with "Perspectives,"
but the other two sources you mention I was not familiar with.  There does
seem to be a dearth of really memorable quotes from 2005 so far.  Three
that come to my mind are Lawrence Summer's remarks about
underrepresentation of Catholics in investment banking/white men in the
NBA/Jews in agriculture; Bill Frist's comment about knowing how to play
hardball because he cut out hearts as a surgeon; and Tom De Lay's recent
denunciation of Justice Kennedy because Kennedy does his own research on
the Internet.

But I don't know if any of the above are ones for the ages.  I would still
welcome other recommendations of already-famous quotations from 2005.  Has
anything from the Terry Schiavo controversy become famous?

Fred Shapiro