Bamboo Spanish; Hell Bent for Leather (1918)

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Mon Apr 25 14:38:21 UTC 2005

No "bamboo Spanish" here, but cf. "go bamboo," become eccentric from duty in the Philippines, esp. by going "native."

John Algeo wrote an article for AS about "Bamboo English" in Korea, i.e., English-Korean pidgin of the '50s.

JL

bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: bapopik at AOL.COM
Subject: Bamboo Spanish; Hell Bent for Leather (1918)

I just got finished adding "tar beach" and "B-boy" and "pedlock" to my
website...I'm downstairs at NYU and it's too late to check the HDAS.
Does Lighter have "bamboo Spanish"? It's not in OED?
I also came across a 1931 story "Hell Bent for Leather," but there's
earlier.
September 1931, Our Army, pg. 5:
But BAMBOO SPANISH or LINGUA TIENDA. This is the marketing language.
(...)
It is from this class of boys that the MUCHACHOS - house servants - are
recruited.
(...)
Pg. 47, col. 3:
The person easily shocked had better never attempt Bamboo Spanish.
(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
British Cavalry Rollicks Into Battle; Huns Swept From Woods When Time
Comes to Strike Back; "Hell Bent for Leather, Like Scalded Cats," Men
of Old Army Have Their Inning -- Cover Retreat of Infantry at Dire Cost
to Themselves -- Order to Attack Finds Them Gleeful -- Royal Horse
Artillery Has Gala Day. BRITISH CAVALRY IN BATTLE
(By PERRY ROBINSON.)Special Cable From the London Times to The
Washington Post.. The Washington Post. Apr 9, 1918. p. 1 (2 pages)