Fwd: retro "psych"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Apr 25 17:08:46 UTC 2005

>No tykes (or *tykies) that I know are so at ease with the Classics
>as to pronounce
>/ saik / hypercorrectly as / 'saiki /.  I have even seen it spelled
>"Sike!" by freshmen, to whom the observation similarly applies.
>
>JL

I'd be happy enough with the "sike" spelling, since it does seem to
have sufficiently branched off semantically from its psychological
roots.  Note that the "psyche" ['saiki] pronunciation wouldn't
necessarily entail familiarity with the Cupid and Psyche story,
lovely as it is (especially that bit with the hot candle wax), but
there are also the philosophical and psychiatric spinoffs.  I think
"psyche" in those senses is still consistently bisyllabified.

--Larry, now wondering if there's anyone out there who confuses
"psychic" with "sidekick"