Politicians crossing a bridge with the devil

bapopik at AOL.COM bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Apr 28 03:43:20 UTC 2005

I was watching "The Road to City Hall" on NY1. There was a roundtalbe with Ed Koch, Mark Green, and Al D'Amato. They discussed Mayor Michael Bloomberg's attempt to get on the Independence Party line, and how the leader of that party (Leonora Fulani) was anti-Semitic.
Mark Green (I think) said that Winston Churchill once said that in politics, you'd cross a bridge with the devil just before midnight. I didn't find it from Churchill, but FDR said it and Harold Stassen said it, too.
(GOOGLE)
http://www.barbelith.com/topic/8247
In the latter instance(from “our” revolutionary point of view) it may be a case of walking over the bridge with the devil in times of trouble (an old Bulgarian saying, which I think the Arab world may have applied to the west).
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/report/1997/Hall.htm
Dr.  John B. "Black Jack" Matthews, in a personal interview, made the comment, "I'd

walk across the bridge with the devil if meant saving a Marine's life!"[130]
[130] Dr. John B. Matthews, personal interview by author, 18 September 1996.
(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
DEALS WITH FASCISTS DECRIED BY STASSEN; He Says They Might Endanger Cause of Peace After War
New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Mar 11, 1943. p. 6 (1 page) :
The Governor  recalled that when United States forces in North Africa began collaborating with pro-Vichy elements  many people described it as "walking over the bridge with the devil" in order to reach military victory.
Stassen Points a Lesson
THOMAS L STOKES. Los Angeles Times (1886-Current File). Los Angeles, Calif.: Dec 27, 1944. p. A4 (1 page) :
"It can very well be said that if we walk over many war-time bridges with the devil at our side, we will find him at our side when we sit down to work out the peace, and his presence then will be disastrous."
Political Clean-Up Asked; County Democratic Party Believed in Need of Thorough Reorganization
JOSEPH B. ROSENBLATT.. New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Nov 24, 1952. p. 22 (1 page) :
Instead, he describes at length great electoral changes which would have us cross the bridge with the devil right behind us.
About Women in Washington
LOUISE HUTCHINSON. Chicago Tribune (1963-Current file). Chicago, Ill.: Apr 13, 1967. p. A8 (1 page) :
"I can remember the President  (FDR--ed.) saying, 'you have to cross the bridge with the devil to get to the other side.'"