Angnother one (was: Heard in passin')

Peter A. McGraw pmcgraw at LINFIELD.EDU
Thu Apr 28 21:21:48 UTC 2005

Just recently I've increasingly heard the same result (well, the same
congsonant) with a different derivation.  At least on NPR, and maybe also
on ABC (TV) News, I keep hearing "prengnant," and today on NPR I heard ng <
g in another word, which as usual I was sure I was going to remember and
which I just as surely forgot.  I wouldn't swear I'd never heard this
before, but at least not enough to become conscious of it.  Is this a new
development, or an old one that I am only now tuning in to?