ADS-L Digest - 24 Jul 2005 to 25 Jul 2005 (#2005-207) WARNING: WAY OFF-TOPIC

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Tue Aug 2 13:11:22 UTC 2005

Fred,

1697 J. Evelyn _Numismata, a discourse of medals, ancient and modern..._  (London : Printed for Benj. Tooke ) 100   Reverse, a Lyon. SEMPER. FIDELIS. 1602  in which Year that most Renowned Queen departed this Life, and made room for her Successor, King James I.

"Semper Fidelis" may have been more widely known in the 18th C. as the motto of the city of Exeter and of Abbeville in France.

Various websites assert that the Marines adopted the motto only in 1883, but I have not absolutely verified that.

JL

Fred Shapiro <fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU> wrote:

------------------

---- Information from the mail header -----------------------
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Fred Shapiro
Subject: Re: ADS-L Digest - 24 Jul 2005 to 25 Jul 2005 (#2005-207)
WARNING: WAY OFF-TOPIC

On Mon, 1 Aug 2005, Sam Clements wrote:

> Sure. Whatcha got already?

Nothing at this point [on origin of "Semper Fidelis"].

Fred Shapiro

Fred R. Shapiro Editor
Associate Librarian for Collections and YALE DICTIONARY OF QUOTATIONS
Access and Lecturer in Legal Research Yale University Press,
Yale Law School forthcoming
e-mail: fred.shapiro at yale.edu http://quotationdictionary.com