more re FL

Bethany K. Dumas dumasb at UTKUX.UTCC.UTK.EDU
Sat Aug 6 20:25:10 UTC 2005

Thanks, Roger Shuy and David Barnhart, for reminding me of other early
sessions/courses on FL. Here is a fuller picture through 1990 (I have not
included any linguistic journal articles or books, and I have not included
academic conference presentations):

1984: I gave a presentation on "Humpty Dumpty and the Law: Or, Everything
You've Always Wanted to Know But Were Afraid to Ask About Why a Linguist
With Tenure Is Going to Law School." (Centripetal Lecture, University of
Tennessee, February.)

1985: I gave a presentation on "The Linguist as Expert Witness" at the
2nd Annual Conference on Law and Technology (Legal Language, Computational
Linguistics, and Artificial Intelligence), University of Houston Program
on Law & Technology, July.

1985: I graduated from law school in May.

1985: I gave a paper, "Put Me on the Program or I'll Kill You!:
Establishing the Existence of Verbal Crimes," at the 9th Annual Practical
Conference on Communication Proceedings. Society for Technical
Communication (STC) Practical Conference on Communication (PCC),
Knoxville, October, 1985.

1986: the paper just listed was published by the Society in May 1986, pp.
149-160.

1986: The late William Stewart (CUNY) and Robert Rieber (a now-retired
John Jay College psychologist) taught a course in Forensic Linguistics at
the LSA âSummer Institute at the City University of NY Graduate Center. (I
sat in on that course and, with Bill's permission, included in my first
Langauge & Law course documents from a trademark case he had testified in
recently. That material is in my UT office - I will be glad to share
information about it if anyone is interested.)

1987: I taught Language and Law for the first time. We were still on the
quarter system, so it was a ten-week course (we went to the semester
system fall 1987.)

1988: In April, under the sponsorship of the New York Academy of Sciences,
Robert Rieber and Bill Stewart organized and held a workshop on the role
ot the language scientist as an expert in the legal setting: Issues in
Forensic Linguistics. (I was at that meeting.)

1990: Vol 606 of the NYAS, the papers from the 1988, meeting, was
published as _The Language Scientist as Expert in the Legal Setting_.

1989: I gave a presentation on ""Language in the Judicial Process: Why
You Can't Say What You Mean & Can't Mean What You Say & Why It Won't Get
Recorded Even If You Do" at the Church St. United Methodist Church Singles
Forum, Knoxville, April, and Brushy Mt. State Prison Lifers Club Annual
Banquet, Brushy Mt. State Prison, TN, June 1989. {My visit to Brushy Mt.
was quite an experience!]

Bethany