"Brass tacks" (1876) and etymological evidence

Victoria Neufeldt vneufeldt at MERRIAM-WEBSTER.COM
Sun Aug 7 22:29:09 UTC 2005

'Brass tacks' has an "Americanism star" in Webster's New World, so I
suspect it's found in Mathews' Dict of Americanisms. (Mathews was a
consultant on the 2nd edition of the New World Dict, published in
1970, which introduced the star feature to identify words and senses
originating in the U.S.  Mathews joined the NW staff in 1955 as
special consulting editor and editor for Americanisms.)  I don't have
easy access to my copy of Mathews (it's packed in a box somewhere), so
can't check his citational evidence.  Maybe someone else can?

Incidentally, it is related to facts, as in "basic facts or details",
so a rhyming slang origin doesn't seem out of the question,
semantically speaking, even if it isn't used in contexts such as "Just
the brass tacks, ma'am" or Jonathan's example.

Victoria

Victoria Neufeldt
727 9th Street East
Saskatoon, Sask.