The Last "Mohican"?

Wed Aug 10 16:01:52 UTC 2005

WILSON writ:

Am I the last person to maintain the distinction between "perfect
passive participles" and adjectives derived therefrom? For example,
I've heard tigers, zebras, crosswalks, and streets with painted
lane-separations, etc., etc. all described as [straipt]. I make the
following distinction: if an object has had stripes added to it, then
it's [straipt]; if an object naturally has stripes, either of genetic
origin or added as part of the manufacturing process, then it's
[straipId]. Hence,  roadways that have had crosswalks lane-separations,
bike lanes, or other such-like stripings added to them are [straipt].
But zebras, tigers, the shirts of athletic officials, etc. are
[straipId].

I also distinguish between "loved [l^vd] by" and "beloved [bIl^vId] of"
and a few others, like "alleged."
<<<

I'm less complete than you, but for one name "strip[@]d" is fixed in my
mind: Daniel Striped Tiger, from MisteRogers' [of bless[I]d memory]
Neighborhood.

-- Mark
   (by hand)