"Halloo" = "hello," as simple greeting

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Thu Aug 11 05:08:38 UTC 2005

Are you certain about that, Jon? I ask because there is a West-Germanic
language currently spoken and closely related to English, called
"neerlands" by its speakers, in which "hallo" precisely is, at this
very day, as you yourself have put it, "a cry for attention,"
approximating in its meaning the American English "hey, you!" or the
English English "I say, my man! You there! What?!"

Just messin' witcha, man. I know bedn at.

But, seriously, is "halloa" still a valid alternative spelling? Not
that it matters. Just idly wondering.

-Wilson