ka-ching (1976)

Fri Aug 12 07:22:40 UTC 2005

Latest OED batch has "ka-ching" (n./int.) from 1980.

-----
1976 _Bucks Co. Courier Times_ (Levittown, Pa.) 5 Jan. A5/1 In the months
ahead, sales for presidents' birthdays, for days exhaulting romance, the
Easter bunny and who knows what else will hit the marketplace like the
resounding ka-ching of a cash register drawer.
-----

("Exhaulting"? Is that quasi-eggcornic?)

Also noted in an alt.usage.english thread on "ka-ching" last year:

-----
_Bored of the Rings_ has been issued in this form as a parody.  This
is very important.  It is an attempt to satirize the other books, not
simply to be mistaken for them.  Thus, we must strongly remind you
that _this is not the real thing!_  So if you're about to purchase
this copy thinking it's about the _Lord_ of the Rings, then you'd
better put it right back onto that big pile of remainders where you
found it.  Oh, but you've already read this far, so that must mean
that -- that you've already _bought_. . . oh dear. . . oh my. . .
(Tote up another one on the register, Jocko.  _"Ching!"_)
-- _Bored of The Rings_ by "The Harvard Lampoon"
   (Douglas C. Kenney and Henry N. Beard, 1969)
-----

--Ben Zimmer