bou(r)ghetto (was Re: Hooah !)

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Mon Aug 15 04:35:19 UTC 2005

On Aug 12, 2005, at 10:42 AM, Jim Parish wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Jim Parish <jparish at SIUE.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: bou(r)ghetto (was Re: Hooah !)
> --------
>
> Mark A. Mandel asks:
>> And now you have to explain to us outlanders the origin of
>> "Nellyville".
>
> The popular rap singer Nelly is from St. Louis.
>
> Jim Parish
> also resident in the St. Louis metro area
> SIUE Web Mail

It was also the title of an album - the first? - by Nelly and the St.
Lounatics. Funny thing: in the Boston area, people tell you where
they're really from WRT the town or even the neighborhood, if they live
inside the city limits. In the Greater St. Louis Area, people simply
say that they're from St. Louis. Nelly is actually from University
City, MO. I once read that the actor, John Goodman, is a St. Louisan
who was born in Effingham, MO. Uh, that's Effingham, ILLINOIS. The
author, Something Franzen, is from Webster Groves, MO.

-Wilson