Antedating of "Punk Rocker"

Tue Aug 16 03:32:07 UTC 2005

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 22:59:10 -0400, Fred Shapiro wrote:

>punk rocker (OED 1976)
>
>1975 _L.A. Times_ 15 June P70 (ProQuest)  As part of their broadening
>process, Chinn-Chapman are even thinking of writing occasional songs for
>"non-stable" artists.  They'd even, they confess, like to write a hit for
>the queen of easy listening music, Olivia Newton-John.  The latter step
>might call [sic] some punk-rockers in England to shout "heresy," but
>Chinn-Chapman don't care.

1973 _Phonograph Record_ Feb. (backpages.com) Troggs: fond rememberings
and frank quotes from the world's first punk rockers.
http://backpages.com/article.html?ArticleID=6093
[Should check the original-- the heading might have been added later.]

1973 _Creem_ 1 Aug. (backpages.com) And make no mistake about it: the J.
Geils Band are punk-rockers in the truest sense of the term.
http://backpages.com/article.html?ArticleID=5742

1973 _NME_ 13 Oct. (backpages.com) Suzi Quatro is, to my knowledge, the
world's only female punk rocker.
http://backpages.com/article.html?ArticleID=6624

--Ben Zimmer