"pussy," adj. = weak; effeminate; cowardly; unmanly; soft or easy enough for women, but unbefitting a man.

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Tue Aug 16 22:57:05 UTC 2005

Every little bit helps, as long as it's not acronymic explanation.  OED offers a few such cites, and I believe they essentially allude to the nature of felines. The social milieu appears to be rather different from that surrounding current use of the word.

JL

Sam Clements <SClements at NEO.RR.COM> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Sam Clements
Subject: Re: "pussy," adj. = weak; effeminate; cowardly; unmanly; soft or
easy enough for women, but unbefitting a man.

For some reason I posted about "pussy" a few months ago over at the Straight
Dope. I don't know where I got this info, whether on the list or in
searches online.

I said something to the effect that "pussy" was a term used in the late
1940's in theater circles to refer to homosexual males. Would this help?

Sam Clements