figurative "bootstraps" (1834)

Chris Waigl cwaigl at FREE.FR
Thu Aug 18 03:53:44 UTC 2005

Douglas G. Wilson wrote:

>Is there any reason to think that there is any relation between the
>Muenchhausen story and the early references to one's lifting himself by his
>bootstraps?

No. On the contrary, I think Ben has amply demonstrated that there isn't.

>Couldn't both impossibilities have been imagined de novo?

Yes. And maybe you consider the story ends here ...

>Actually the bootstrap version seems more apt (to me) since pulling up on
>one's bootstraps was a conventional practice AFAIK (in putting on one's
>boots). Pardon me if I'm missing something again.

... but evidently the two converged. Lots of people seem to think that
the "bootstrap" metaphor originated with Münchhausen. Google Prints
finds 20 books in which this myth is quoted as a fact:
<http://print.google.com/print?ie=UTF-8&q=munchausen+%7C+m%C3%BCnchhausen+boot-straps+%7C+bootstraps&btnG=Search>.

Chris Waigl

--
blog:      http://serendipity.lascribe.net/