Fwd: one-handed quote search

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Aug 19 15:29:00 UTC 2005

At 2:22 AM -0400 8/18/05, Douglas G. Wilson wrote:
>>  >>> <<... que j'avais plus de trente ans avant que j'eusse jeté les

>>>  Hmmm, so it was originally a *woman* making the "one hand" joke? That
>>>  certainly puts a spin on the expected readership of those dangerous
>>>  books.
>>
>>The "so she says" isn't in the French, but yes, it is implied that this
>>is her opinion.
>
>Apparently some versions or editions read "... ne peut, dit-elle, les lire
>que ...."

Yes, I noticed that too.  Nice to have so many of these
Confessions--and other texts--so available and searchable on line.

>One might ask further whether the lady quoted is identifiable as a real
>person, and if so whether the concept should be attributed to her ....

In my reference to it, in the passage in a review I'm citing, elides
all reference to the "belle dame de par le monde", since in any case
I'm taking it to be Rousseau's observation (direct or indirect) that
counts here.

Larry