pussy," adj. = weak; effeminate; cowardly; unmanly; soft or easy eno

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Aug 19 16:44:02 UTC 2005

>Current "duff' usage in UK is largely confined to an expression indicating
>pregnancy = 'up the duff'.
>
>Victorian UK usage was as both buttocks and female genitals.

Not in Farmer & Henley FWIW.

>An American book, possibly by an English author, has the female genital
>sense in the 1970s:
>'He slid towards me, pinning me in the corner. His hand forced its way
>between my thighs, fingers touching the hairs around my duff.'
>--Lu Stack, 'Anybody's Girl', Bee-Line Books, NY [1970s, page ref lost]

Not a typo for "muff"?  To be sure, the muff is often taken to
include such hairs, but Grose (1785) already lists "MUFF, the private
parts of a woman", and I'm sure the precise details of the
geographical nomenclature have undergone sporadic variation ever
since.

>I see that the US also has "duff" as penis, hence "duff-flogger" = male
>masturbator.
>
>-- Neil Crawford

That's a new one on me.