Get Your X On!

Fri Aug 19 18:38:15 UTC 2005

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 07:34:08 -0700, Jonathan Lighter wrote:

>Am definitely on the "get your X on" tip.
>
>"Get your groove on" may be the instigating phrase.

Corroborated by Lisa J. Green's _African American English_ (CUP 2002):

http://print.google.com/print?id=bcpuNbPu-LgC&q=groove

Green says "get (one's) groove on" dates to the early to mid-'90s. Here's
the earliest I can find in the databases:

-----
Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Jan 14, 1993, p. B1 (Nexis/Factiva)
"When I come back home [to Atlanta] off the road, it's such a stagnant
social environment. I love to dance, you know, get my groove on," she
says.
[quoting Aerle Taree of the group Arrested Development]
-----

--Ben Zimmer