Boula Gratinee or Boula Boula (1932, 1934, 1935)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Aug 20 21:55:40 UTC 2005

O.T.: Jesus, what a depressing week. Everything goes wrong and no one helps
you...I went to sleep with my girlfriend. We both woke up. She had a dream
that  I was cheating on her and she smacked me.
Back to food. Why are the "boula" books and articles all from New York  City?
Did it start at a hotel? Are the NYPL's menus digitized yet?
 I checked again for "boula" (green turtle and pea soup). It's called  "boula
gratinee" or "boula boula."

(GOOGLE)

_dallasobserver.com | Temple fare | 1996-03-21_
(http://www.google.com/url?sa=U&start=2&q=http://www.dallasobserver.com/issues/1996-03-21/dining/dish.html&e
=912)
... Helen Corbitt once published a recipe for "boula  boula" soup which calls
for a can
each of concentrated  green pea and green turtle soup, mixed  together. ...
www.dallasobserver.com/  issues/1996-03-21/dining/dish.html - 24k -
Supplemental Result - _Cached_
(http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:4mwt8FB6Q5oJ:www.dallasobserver.com/issues/1996-03-21/dining/dish.html+boula+and+green+turtle+and
+pea+soup&hl=en&start=2&ie=UTF-8)  - _Similar pages_
(http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=related:www.dallasobserver.com/issues/1996-03-21/din
ing/dish.html)
_Aug. 14: First ladies, Part I 5_
(http://www.google.com/url?sa=U&start=3&q=http://dailytidings.com/2001/news0824/columnists/columnists-04.php&e=912)
... Boula-Boula is a soup she served at  White House dinners. INGREDIENTS: 2
cups fresh
English peas. 2 cups  canned green turtle soup. 1 cup sherry. ...
dailytidings.com/2001/news0824/  columnists/columnists-04.php - 18k -
Supplemental Result - _Cached_
(http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:YElNtMUADQ0J:dailytidings.com/2001/news0824/columnists/columnists-04.php+boula+and+green+turtle
+and+pea+soup&hl=en&start=3&ie=UTF-8)  - _Similar pages_
(http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=related:dailytidings.com/2001/news0824/columnist
s/columnists-04.php)
     _Oakland Tribune_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Viewer.aspx?img=j91JOupTOn+KID/6NLMW2nreIbdD+hIavLXJtBZccgLEuiofKbXbEUIF+CsZYmrz)  _Saturday,
March 26, 1932_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=boula+and+turtle+AND+date:1932-03-26)  _Oakland,_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=boula+and+turtle+AND+cityid:21100+AND+stateid:14+AND+range:1753-1936)
   _California_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=boula+and+turtle+AND+stateid:14+AND+range:1753-1936)
...I bo special dishe'S of I he hoslelry: BOULA as the mixture  of TURTLE'
AND pea.....to "her father AND mother,  sisters AND brothcis, my father AND
myself..
Pg. 9?, col. 4:
TALK OF NEW YORK by KARL K. KITCHEN
(...)
...Plaza hotel for dinner...
(...)
...Boula gratinee, as the mixture of turtle and pea soup is  called;...

     _Oakland Tribune_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Viewer.aspx?img=j91JOupTOn+KID/6NLMW2u3fbCj8moHsKojvCA3uigoskpmRg9DjFEIF+CsZYmrz)  _Monday,
December 23, 1935_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=boula+and+turtle+AND+date:1935-12-23)  _Oakland,_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=boula+and+turtle+AND+cityid:21100+AND+stateid:14+AND+range:1753-1936
)   _California_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=boula+and+turtle+AND+stateid:14+AND+range:1753-1936)   ...little memo  pad by his
plate When the BOULA (a combination green TURTLE  AND.....saken By touch or smell
of her, rebel AND weep,  AND weeping, tire, AND, tiring..

Pg. 30?, col. 7:
NEW YORK by GEORGE TUCKER
NEW YORK, Dec. 23. - A bit of a story here - a bit of a story there -  that's
New York.
There was a luncheon J. O. Voit gave for Raould Ricoult the other day at  the
Sherry-Netherland cafe-bar, and all during the luncheon the honor guest took
notes on a little memo pad by his plate.
When the boula (a comination green turtle and pea soup) was served he
scribbled a new sheet and thrust it into his pocket.
_WHAT  THE NEW YORK DINER OUT ORDERS FOR HIS DINNER; Experience at One Famous
Hostelry  Shows Great Divergence of Tastes Except as to Coffee, Which Is
Demanded by 90  Per Cent. of the Customers at Each Meal_
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=0&did=100670699&SrchMode=1&sid=1&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=3
09&VName=HNP&TS=1124573590&clientId=65882)
New York Times  (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Dec 28, 1913. p. SM7 (1
page)
And next is soup - "Soup of the evening," as the mock turtle plaintively
sang it. Here one observes a distinct difference between American and English
taste, for while your Briton, if he hasn't his three-and-six to invest in a bowl
 of green turtle, must plunge his spoon into something that is of the
consistency  of mashed potatoes, the average American diner-out prefers those that
are light,  and which will not fill space solidly when taken aboard.
One exception is a wide preference for pea soup, masquerading as "Cream St.
Germain," or something else French and fancy. Here there is always a demand
for  the standard varieties, such as green turtle, chicken gumbo, consomme, and
chicken broth. Consomme, in some restaurants, with the addition of a few
chunks  of bread or toast and a few shavings of vegetables, has been known to
appear as  "croute-au-pot" and "petite marmite."
(ADS-L ARCHIVES)
_Item #16603 (31 Jul 2001 23:39) - Tips on Tables  (1934)
_
(http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0107E&L=ADS-L&P=R2966&I=-3) I had missed it because it was under New York "State"  restaurants instead
of "NYC." Also, it was under restaurant "guidebooks."
It  antedates "egg roll." It antedates "Beef a la Lindstrom." It's got a nice
 "boula." "Swedish meatballs" and "side car"  also come close to the first
cites.
Take a look, but eat first.
Pg. 193:  BELL MANSION 312 West 75th Street (West End Avenue and Riverside
Drive)
After  the caviar comes _boula_, a deliciously  prepared soup made from such
singularly incongruous ingredients as turtle and  pea soups and sherry, topped
off with a spoonful of whipped cream and then baked  in the oven.

(Pg. 219--ed.)
For dining at the King's Terrace did, and  still does, consist of a veritable
parade of palatable delicacies such as  _boula gratinee_ (pea soup helped
along with  green turtle and sherry), lobster _cardinal_, and Virginia Ham
_Eugenie_.
(Boula-Boula?--ed.)
_Item #14260 (2 Apr 2001 19:14) - Beef Wellington  (1939)
_
(http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0104A&L=ADS-L&P=R2978&I=-3)
This book has about one recipe per restaurant. Included  here are Lobster a
la Fra Diavolo, Vichyssoise (three recipes, including one by  Louis Diat),
Hawaiian Chicken, Special Chef's Salad, Spaghetti Bolognese,  Poached Eggs
Zingara, Moo Goo Guy Pan, Lobster Robert, Shrimp Louise, Minced  Chicken Oriental,
Veal Parmiggiana, Caruso sauce for spaghetti, Boula Gratine, and more. The
Hickory House, 144 W. 52nd  Street, "Sunday afternoon jam sessions are a
feature"--ed.

_Item #12026 (28 Jan 2001 23:56) - Re: "Horse Talk" in BAR &  BUFFET
_
(http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0101D&L=ADS-L&P=R13527&I=-3)
BOULA-BOULA--A nice  discussion is on pg. 64.

_Item #10621 (2 Dec 2000 19:35) - Boula-Boula; Cherries  Jubilee
_
(http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0012A&L=ADS-L&P=R692&I=-3) From: Bapopik at AOL.COM
Subject: Boula-Boula; Cherries Jubilee
Comments: To:  ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

BOULA-BOULA

_Boula-Boula_
1 can mock turtle  soup