"puss" in Icelandic ? Swedish ?

Peter A. McGraw pmcgraw at LINFIELD.EDU
Tue Aug 23 16:14:42 UTC 2005

I don't have a dictionary of Modern Icelandic handy, but we can rule out
American tourists or the U.S. military as a source of "pussa," since the
word is older than either of these, or America itself, for that
matter--though conceivably it might have been uttered in Vinland.  It
appears in Cleasby/Vigfusson, An Icelandic-English Dictionary, which is
actually a dictionary of Old Icelandic.  It is defined as "cunnus, of a
beast, a mare, cow."  Whether it might have been extended to the human
anatomy in Modern Icelandic, I don't know.  Unfortunately,
Cleasby/Vigfusson doesn't give any etymological information on the word,
but an etymological link with English "pussy" in the anatomical sense seems
at least plausible.  It's phonologically a possible cognate, or it could
have been a loan TO English FROM the "Scandinavian military" more commonly
known as Vikings.

Peter Mc.

--On Saturday, August 20, 2005 2:25 PM -0400 "Douglas G. Wilson"