agenbite of "inwhich"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Thu Aug 25 15:34:21 UTC 2005

Had Kunst been writing in  a formal, and perhaps somewhat old-fashioned, way, he would have written,

1. ...an asset, by which means we'll be able...

But in informal speech, "by which we'll be able" is perfectly fine.

What makes "in which" impossible here is that the context, involving "means" or method or whatever one construes an "asset" to be ("in which" isn't the only problem here! ), requires the preposition "by."  See OED, _by_, 30a.

And what makes "in which" an even greater horror is the fact that for many unpracticed writers (who often write it as "inwhich") tends to replace all other "prep. + which" relative constructions, e.g. :

2. Here's the article inwhich I was telling you.

rather than idiomatic formal

3. Here's the article about which I was telling you.

or the equally idiomatic

4. Here's the article I was telling you about.

The most egregious examples are of the sort

5. Here's the article inwhich I was telling you about,

in which (n.b.) the idiomatic adverb is preserved at the end of the clause, but "which" or "that"
is erroneously replaced by "inwhich."

So far as we know, "inwhich/ in which" most typifies "freshman" writing that suffers from numerous other syntactical and other errors. It is not a feature of any definable spoken dialect (except as defined by "inwhich") and, I believe, was first identified in writing rather than in speech.  That strongly indicates that "inwhich" began as hypercorrection (a mistaken "more formal usage") or through a difficulty in constructing a relative clause idiomatically. The "inwhich" construction, at least twenty years ago, seemed to be far more common in the writing of anglophone students educated in U.S. high schools than in that of such students educated elsewhere.

But since, as David's query innocently implies, "inwhich" represents The English Of Tomorrow, who am I, really, to stand in the way of change ?

Nevertheless, I am right now on my way to space, where no one can hear me scream.

JL