Vendex (Vendor Information Exchange System)--an OK acronym?

bapopik at AOL.COM bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Aug 25 16:58:46 UTC 2005

"Inspecting answers on Vendor Information Exchange System forms--the system is known by the acronym Vendex--is part of that process."
---NEW YORK SUN, 25 August 2005, pg. 3.
I'll add "Vendex" to my Big Apple website. Is it really an acronym? Shouldn't that be VIES?
How long has this been used? Is it just used in New York City?
There are "Vendex" trademarks. Can "VIES" be called "Vendex"?
(Trademark)

Word MarkVENDEX
Goods and Services(ABANDONED) IC 035. US 101. G & S: PROVIDE ELECTRONIC PURCHASE INFORMATION SERVICES TO BUSINESSES AND THE PUBLIC, PRIMARILY THROUGH THE USE OF TELEPHONE SYSTEMS AND RELATED EQUIPMENT. FIRST USE: 19840301. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19840301
Mark Drawing Code(3) DESIGN PLUS WORDS, LETTERS, AND/OR NUMBERS
Design Search Code261321
Serial Number73470327
Filing DateMarch 15, 1984
Current Filing Basis1A
Original Filing Basis1A
Owner(APPLICANT) VENDEX INFORMATION SYSTEMS, INC., C/O FINLEY, KUMBLE THOMAS J. MALONEY; VICTORIA FEDERGREEN PARTNERSHIP NEW YORK 425 PARK AVE NEW YORK NEW YORK 10022
Type of MarkSERVICE MARK
RegisterPRINCIPAL
Live/Dead IndicatorDEAD
Abandonment DateJanuary 9, 1985

Word MarkVENDEX
Goods and Services(ABANDONED) IC 009. US 026 038. G & S: PERSONAL COMPUTERS, MONITORS AND COMPUTER PROGRAMS PRIMARILY FOR USE IN ENTERTAINMENT, EDUCATION, FINANCE AND BUSINESS. FIRST USE: 19870115. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19870115
Mark Drawing Code(1) TYPED DRAWING
Serial Number73714489
Filing DateFebruary 12, 1988
Current Filing Basis1A
Original Filing Basis1A
Published for OppositionSeptember 20, 1988
Owner(APPLICANT) VENDEX PACIFIC INC. CORPORATION CONNECTICUT 40 CUTTER MILL ROAD GREAT NECK NEW YORK 11021
Attorney of RecordNEIL A. SMITH
Type of MarkTRADEMARK
RegisterPRINCIPAL
Live/Dead IndicatorDEAD