"puss" in Icelandic ? Swedish ?

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Tue Aug 30 05:04:24 UTC 2005

>If it's truly cognate, then it's an incredible survival from Old English, no ?

MW3's etymology for this "fud": <<perhaps of Scandinavian origin; akin to
Old Norse _futh_ vulva, Norwegian dialect _fud_ buttocks; akin to Middle
High German _vut_ vulva ....>>. Seems reasonable to me. Is/was there a
cognate in Old English? I don't know, my OED doesn't give one; but even if
there is/was it may not have been an ancestor of modern Scots "fud". I
suppose, perhaps naively, that the lineage might be Norse > Scots >
Ozarkian, with Anglo-Saxon bypassed.

BTW, my OED and MW3 show the "arse" and "[rabbit-]tail" senses but not the
"female pudendum" sense.

-- Doug Wilson