mucker = 'young townie' (1874)

Wed Aug 31 07:06:20 UTC 2005

OED3 has "mucker" = 'young townie' from 1893 (in _Harvard Stories_).

-----
http://www.thecrimson.com/article.aspx?ref=328326
Harvard Crimson, Apr 24, 1874
The College "boys," who occupy, in the depths of the reporter's mind, an
indefinite position somewhere between a "mucker" and a Prussian count.
-----
http://www.thecrimson.com/article.aspx?ref=317489
Harvard Crimson, Jun 19, 1874
Tom floundered helplessly and stopped, panting, the apology being
addressed to an ubiquitous mucker, who had grabbed the bouquet falling
from Tom's nerveless hand, and run off, yelling savagely.
-----
http://www.thecrimson.com/article.aspx?ref=326899
Harvard Crimson, Oct 23, 1874
On the other hand, we shall gain an attractive-looking field, and a fence
to shut out the insidious "muckers," which will save the services of
numerous policemen at ball matches.
-----
http://www.thecrimson.com/article.aspx?ref=320390
Harvard Crimson, Nov 20, 1874
Even the mucker element (which we may consider represented by the
associates of Caleb Cheeshahteaumuck) was more in sympathy with the
unfettered student and the lurking proctor, than the peremptory and
unromantic system of the officials of modern and un-civil law. [...]
The Port is our vampire. Her government runs streets for shops through our
sacred soil, her peelers interfere with our after-dinner reveries, her
people crowd our conveyances to Boston, her factories disgust us. Her
mucker roams in freedom through our sacred yard, her maiden robs the
freedom of the student's heart.
-----

--Ben Zimmer