Ruth Wajnryb's "Funktionary"

Fri Dec 2 18:46:04 UTC 2005

There's a column in the Sydney Morning Herald by Ruth Wajnryb, talking
about her new book _Funktionary: A Cheeky Collection of Contemporary Words_:

-----
http://www.smh.com.au/news/words/at-the-birth-of-a-sniglet/2005/12/01/1133311137173.html
Funktionary is a predictionary. It's a slice of that limbo-land where
new words are happening, but are still not sufficiently "at large" to be
captured in a major dictionary. I like to think of it as a holding bay
for neonatal words. They may or may not make it. But they're with us for
a snapshot of time and the collection acknowledges their playfulness,
wit, creativity, flexibility and occasional poignancy.
-----

(ADS and Allan Metcalf are mentioned.)

Doesn't look like the book is on Amazon in the US yet, but it's on the
UK version: <http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0734407947/>.
Oddly, Amazon UK says that the pub date is April 30, 2006, even though
the publisher site, Lothian, says it was released in November:

http://www.lothian.com.au/more.aspx?ISBN=0734407947

I guess it's only available in Australia right now.

--Ben Zimmer