"exchange X for Y"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Sun Dec 4 00:01:15 UTC 2005

Part of the dissonance that many of us seem to feel about the cited example may come from our real-world experience with "exchange."  Consider:

  1. They are students who want to exchange porn for Bibles.

  This can only mean that they have the porn and want to trade it for Bibles.  So from a strictly grammatical perspective, the real-life example is unexceptionable.

  Surprisingly, the dissonance may arise from specifying the students as "atheist."  In 1, above, I believe that the usual implication is that

  2. They are students who want to *get rid of undesirable* porn in a trade for *desirable" bibles.

  But combine "atheist student[s]" with our knowledge of postmodern pranks and publicity stunts, and the meaning of the situation appears to be

  3. They are students who want to *bestow desirable* porn in a trade for *undesirable* Bibles.

  In 1 and 2, the students make the exchange for their own benefit. That's the nature of most exchanges: they're initiated for the benefit of one or both parties.  In 3, however, the atheist students are making a humorous point of "benefiting" the Bible-owning students by giving them something presumably more desirable than what they already have, in the tradition, for example, of paying ("exchanging") desirable money for undesirable (because incriminating) contraband firearms.

  In the case of the students, they presumably set up the situation in order to make a statement to the rest of us. By parodying cash-for-contraband exchanges, they behave as though their porn is or should be more beneficial to society than are the Bibles they expect to get for it.  Less dissonant would be

  4. Fundamentalist students want to exchange Bibles for porn.

  They'd be encouraging Bible reading and discouraging porn consumption.

  The problem in the original example, I think, is with the real-life connotations of "exchange" rather than with its dictionary meaning.

  JL