Why is "Missouri" pronounced with -z-

James Landau jjjrlandau at EARTHLINK.NET
Fri Dec 9 00:52:33 UTC 2005

Sounds good to me, but I do have to point out that in MISsisSIPpi there is
a following syllable with stress, and would Verner's Law say the
pronunciation should be /Mrs. Zippy/?

     - James A. Landau

PS  I used "y'all" and a fourteen-year-old girl, third-generation South
Jersey, asked, "Where are you from, the country?"