Praise The Lord & Pass The Ammunition

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Wed Dec 14 15:46:00 UTC 2005

    A less crackly recording of the Nelson Eddy rendition can be heard here :

  http://www.wegrokit.com/shines.htm

  How "good" is the song ?  Along with Richard Schickele, I believe that "if it sounds good, it is good."

  This song leaves me rather cold, however, because I find the melody uninteresting and the lyrics heavy-handed, false, and uninspiring. But I'm always cranky.

  Was it really true that "in every soldier's heart in all the Infantry /
Shines the name, shines the name of Rodger Young" ? I'm not convinced.

  Was it true that Young "stood" to draw the "deadly fire of the enemy" ? A bad idea; furthermore, the MOH citation says otherwise.

  "In the everlasting spirit of the Infantry / Breathes the spirit of Private Rodger Young."  What does that mean ?

  "Volunteered ! Volunteered ! ... Volunteered !"  Get it ? It's a "message song" with an ulterior purpose. Despite its claim, the song is not primarily designed to commemorate Rodger Young.

  "They've got no time for glory in the Infantry."  True enough, but then how can Young's name "shine in every soldier's heart" ? That word was pretty much drained of meaning even for propagandists by 1919. What's more, there's something a little too self-conscious about the hard-boiled diction. (Picture Loesser writing these words at his desk in his 42nd Street office....)

  The only "good" line in the song is "On the island of New Georgia in the Solomons," and that's only because any exotic geography casts a spell till you get used to it. (The inevitable irony implicit in the name "New Georgia" helps too.)

  A brief biography of Young, a genuine hero whose individuality comes through not at all in the song, is found here :

  http://www.rbhayes.org/hayes/mssfind/285/youngrw.htm

  Many more details here :

  http://www.homeofheroes.com/profiles/profiles_young.html .

  According to the latter account, evidently lifted directly from journalistic reports, the song came about when Pfc. Loesser was "asked" by the War Department to compose "a new Army theme song."

  And so he did. No more, no less.

  JL