What was a "dog-room" in 1847 (or 1773)?

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Mon Dec 19 03:53:23 UTC 2005

Yes, there's some context that might help; it certainly didn't
suggest to me "a room for a dog".  May I refer you to the source,
"Stono: Documenting and Interpreting a Southern Slave Revolt", ed.
Mark M. Smith (Columbia, S.C., 2005), page 40?  Or should I
transcribe some context, such as the previous two sentences:

"The room into which Mr. Verney conducted his guest was on the same
floor with the dining-room and parlors, as they were called in those
days before drawing-rooms.  It had the look of having been intended,
and of having been formerly used, for the reception of company."

A little later, the visitor sees two or three family portraits on the walls.

Joel