Sufganiyot/Sufganiot/Soufganioth/Soufganiot (Jelly Doughnuts)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Dec 21 23:49:47 UTC 2005

SUFGANIYOT--19,700 Google hits
SUFGANIOT--13,300 Google hits
SOUFGANIOTH--1,290 Google hits
SOUFGANIOT--514 Google hits
Sufganiyot (OED?) is in the food sections of both today's NY Times and NY
Sun. I looked through the online Palestine Post, but didn't see it under any
spelling.
_http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/21/dining/21fry.html_
(http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/21/dining/21fry.html)

This may explain why American Jews have recently, enthusiastically embraced a
 Hanukkah treat popular in Israel, sufganiyot, or, as we know them, jelly
doughnuts. Fragrant with sugar and jam, sufganiyot (the plural of sufganiya)
have become a sweeter symbol of the holiday, especially for children.
For Karen Goldman of Cleveland Heights, Ohio, potato pancakes - latkes - have
 long been the traditional food of Hanukkah. "We all learned in Hebrew school
 that the reason we eat latkes on Hanukkah was because they were cooked in
oil,  to remind us of the miracle of the oil that lasted eight days instead of
one,"  Ms. Goldman said. "It never occurred to us that you could eat other
fried things  until some Israelis in our congregation introduced us to
sufganiyot."
In Israel, sufganiyot have become an unlikely badge of national identity.
Other icons of the Israeli kitchen, like falafel and hummus, have been the
subject of serious (sometimes furious) debate by culinary historians of the
Middle East over whether they are Jewish or Arab foods. And even among Israeli
Jews, foods are still often identified with either the Ashkenazim, who are
descended from Eastern European Jews, and the Sephardim, whose roots go back to
Spain and to the Middle East.
_Make the Doughnuts_ (http://www.nysun.com/article/24787)
New York Sun, NY -  <NOBR>13 hour
... But the tradition that has  captured my fancy recently is the Israeli
tradition of sufganiyot: puffy,  sugar-coated, jelly-filled doughnuts. ...
_http://www.nysun.com/article/24787_ (http://www.nysun.com/article/24787)
But the tradition that has captured my fancy recently is the Israeli
tradition of sufganiyot: puffy, sugar-coated, jelly-filled doughnuts. According  to
Claudia Roden in "The Book of Jewish Food," this doughnut was actually  derived
from an Austro-Hungarian peasant carnival sweet, which was then adopted  by
the court of Marie Antoinette.
You can experiment with exotic varieties at some New York City restaurants.
On December 28, Blue Hill (75 Washington Pl., between Sixth Avenue and
Washington Square West, 212-539-1776) is offering a $68 prix fixe Chanukah  dinner
that finishes with sufganiyot for dessert. At Swedish-Japanese Riingo  (205 E.
45th St., between Second and Third avenues, 212-867-4200) you can bite  into
hole-size doughnuts oozing with green tea jelly; and Suba (109 Ludlow St.,
between Rivington and Delancey streets, 212-982-5714) offers Spanish-style
chocolate-filled fried bunuelos.
The traditional doughnuts for Chanukah tend to be small- to medium-size and
filled with thick jam. And if you're truly enterprising, you can celebrate the
 miracle of oil by frying your own.
Sufganiyot
1 package active dry yeast
4 tablespoons sugar
3/4 cup warm water
2  1/2 cups all-purpose flour
Pinch of salt
2 eggs, separated
2  tablespoons ( 1/4 stick) butter or margarine, softened
Raspberry apricot, or  strawberry preserves
Confectioners' sugar
Vegetable oil for  deep-frying
_To  Them Also, Yule Has Wonder_
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=1&did=153143392&SrchMode=1&sid=1&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=309&VName=HNP&TS=113
5207812&clientId=65882)
By Nancy L. Ross Washington  Post Staff Writer. The Washington Post, Times
Herald  (1959-1973). Washington, D.C.: Dec 23, 1967. p. B9 (1 page) :
Mrs. Ben-Aharon will busy herself Monday cooking latkes (grated potato
pancakes) and sufganiyot or ponchkes (sugar donuts), both traditional Hannukah
dishes.